won't you celebrate with me
what i have shaped into
a kind of life? i had no model.
born in babylon
both nonwhite and woman
what did i see to be except myself?
i made it up
here on this bridge between
starshine and clay,
my one hand holding tight
my other hand; come celebrate
with me that everyday
something has tried to kill me
and has failed.
Lucille Clifton, “won't you celebrate with me” from Book of Light
(1993, Copper Canyon Press)
II. Read Around
- Sign up for the small group discussion around la paperson's book that you like most.
- Find one place in the text that MADE SENSE TO YOU (please stop focusing on the parts that you do not understand and focus on what you do understand) that impacted you in some way.
- Read that part of the text aloud.
III. Tonight's Presenter: JUONTEL
- We will allow each presenter to talk for 10-15 minutes. Then we will have a discussion, direct comments to the presenters, and ask our questions, etc
- Presenters will be given time cues at 5 minutes left, 2 minutes left, and 0 minutes left! Please notice and respond accordingly.
IV. Small Group Discussions (please sign up... no more than 3 to a group)